Wednesday 24 February 2010

Blissfully soft 'n' fluffy snow

Fantastic day today with some of the best skiing in ages - which is just as well as I fly home tomorrow. (Sigh!)
 
When I moseyed back from the Pub Mont Fort last night, it was one of those lovely crispy clear nights where all the mountains were lit up by starlight and gleaming atmospherically through the darkness. So I wasn’t really expecting there to be lots of fresh snow up the mountain this morning. Unfortunately I didn’t quite get first lifts (damn both beer and packing!) but it was still fabulously soft and fluffy underfoot when I did.

Perhaps I should have had a proper plan of where to ski on such glorious snow, but there were lightly shifting clouds screening the blue, so it seemed best to follow the densest patches, where the cloud appeared the whispiest.

Warming up with some lovely off-piste around Lac de Vaux, I whipped through the pow and then headed up Mont Fort, where the only patch of blue sky was lingering. The snow was deliciously soft, probably the best I've seen it in ages, but unfortunately the cloud started to creep over and soon the peak disappeared into glittering mists so I started chasing patches of blue, down Tortin and over towards Siviez and Nendaz.


As usual the Combatzeline was rather cruddy and juddery by late afternoon and the least said about the Medran the better, but otherwise a fab day. It's been slightly weird coming out again as a seasonnaire, but also a lot of fun. So until next time, Verbier, farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment